Fuel Filter Swap

84_CJ7

My 84 CJ has a Weber bypassing the computer and any computer assist vacuum needs. My question is simple but I wanted some feedback. The fuel filter that is on there now with the 2 outlets, one going to the carb and the other going to the canister, can it be replaced by another in-line filter that bypasses the canister hose? Isn't it just an emissions issue and have nothing to do with fuel pressure, vapor lock or the such? That one extra line really gets in the way and is limiting how I want to run a new fuel line.

Scott[addsig]

I replaced my carter carb with a weber 38/38 and was wondering the same thing. I did not go to the single inline fuel filter becuase I was concerned about the amount of pressure at the carb and I figured that a single filter would make this worse. The pressure would be higher at the input to the carb after the jeep was run an warmed up. If the jeep was turned off and left sitting for 15min or longer the pressure would be even higher at the carb due to thermal exspansion.I did install a low pressure regulator on the out put line of the filter going to the weber. Before I did this the jeep seemed to run very rich all the time. The weber carbs require appr 3-3.5 psi of fuel pressure, after the pressure regulator install the jeep runs much better. I also noticed that if the jeep was left sitting for appr 20-30 min, after being warmed up, it would start hard the pressure regulator seemed to help this. I would also like some feedback on going to a single filter. Don :-D [addsig]

I stayed with the 2-out filter to avoid any pressure problems. I ran new fuel line from the pump around the valve cover and moved where the return line was by bending it out and back. Just had to run a longer piece of connector hose. I have had nothing but problems with fuel pressure regulators. First one failed and the second one does not seem to be giving me enough fuel ( hit 3rd gear and motor starts cutting out - removed regulator and the problem went away). What regulator are you using?\
I am also having a real problem getting the carb/timing set. All was well except for a bit of pinging until I put the first regulator on and started making adjustments. Now it diesels on shut-off and doesn't have top-end power. Really frustrating. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Scott[addsig]

Back