Cold Air Intakes

gvsvic

I have an 01 wrangler with 2.5,5-speed, and 31x1050x15 tires. I see these ads where cold air intakes increase horsepower, and torque by 10 HP, and Torque by 10 ft lbs. I have been told by one company (afe) that they garantee this or your money back. I have been told on other jeep forums that these are a waste of money on a 2.5 engine. What do your members think? Thanks

This alone will not sustain any gain. The engine computer will learn the change and adjust back. That was my experience on my 4.0. I spent about 2K on CAI, Headers, Cat Back, e-fan bored TB to 63mm... I may have picked some HP but I definitely picked up efficiency.

If your going to do a dyno run do 3 before any changes and three about 1000 mi after teh change.

You should see some gain, but I doubt 10/10 like they claim. They're pricey, better to make your own. I used a 4.0L airtube and attached a conical K&N filter to the end. Cheap and easy.

A 62mm throttle body, and porting the intake opening to 62mm, will make the largest difference. Check out www.4bangerjp.com for more 2.5L tech info.

Also keep in mind that generally speaking, while a CAI will probably add a little horsepower (probably less than 10 as mentioned previously, especially if you have no other mods), you won't be able to "feel" any improvement. It takes a carefully calibrated butt-dyno to notice an increase of less than 10hp ;).

...you won't be able to "feel" any improvement. It takes a carefully calibrated butt-dyno to notice an increase of less than 10hp ;).

I can notice the difference in mine. I must have a pretty good butt-dyno. :D

Actually I only notice the difference on a couple of bridges I have to go over on my daily commute. I used to have to put the gas pedal to the floor to maintain speed going up the bridge but after the cai and spacer install I don't. I can even accelerate on the bridge. Very slowly but I can.

I would also notice the mod differences mostly on overpasses where I used to have to downshift, and after a mod I would not need to downshift, or I would shift higher up. But I agree with most here; I doubt you'll feel the difference of a CAI alone. And go to the site bounty recommended. Lots of info.

Mine are good for 200HP.............. each!
Of course I have to be traveling in a forward direction going at least 5mph.

IMG_0576-1.jpg

IMG_0578-1.jpg

IMG_0582-1.jpg

IMG_0577-1.jpg

Mine are good for 200HP.............. each!
Of course I have to be traveling in a forward direction going at least 5mph.

IMG_0576-1.jpg

IMG_0578-1.jpg

IMG_0582-1.jpg

IMG_0577-1.jpg

You should add a third scoop between those two facing backwards so you still get your 200hp while you're backing up 8).

I noticed a difference with just the CAI.If you ask me 10 hp may be pushing it but with a 4 banger even 5hp is noticeable.I down shift less have more pick up on take off.I also picked up about 1 mpg in gas.

I noticed a difference with just the CAI.If you ask me 10 hp may be pushing it but with a 4 banger even 5hp is noticeable.I down shift less have more pick up on take off.I also picked up about 1 mpg in gas.
Thanks xt master, What brand did you use for you CAI ?

I found mine on ebay.I think they home made it looks like an AEM polished aluminum,which I know is not as efficient as plastic.Cost me $60 delivered to my door.

Back