clutch replacement....

jhiggins

I HAVE A 1975 CJ-5 AND I BURNED THE CLUTCH UP I HAVE A T15 TRANSMISSION. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO TO REPLACE THIS CLUTH AND WHAT I NEED TO REPLACE? DO I HAVE TO PULL THE ENGINE TO DO THIS OR JUST DROP THE TRANSMISSION AND T-CASE? TO GET TO IT?? DOES ANYONE KONW THE CLUTCH SIZE AND ALL DETAILS????

THANKS....................JH
image-missing.png
[addsig]

well, I don't wanna re-invent the wheel, so I did a google search. This is a good article on replacing a clutch, although its not it a jeep.

I don't know what size clutch you have.

also, if your clutch is literally "smoked", you may wanna check the flywheel for hot spots/ cracks. It may need replacing, or at the least, needs resurfacing.

Doesn't hurt to check out the starting gear teeth condition while you're at it, either.

HTH, -keith[addsig]

As long as your going to replace the clutch, you should bring the pressure plate in to be checked. The pressure plate is the plate that covers the clutch plate(the one next to the flywheel. If pressure plate is weak, it's a good idea to replace it now, rather than dropping everything and doing it all over again. Best of luck, Paul
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Clutch slave cylinder, throw out, and pilot bearings should all be at least checked while in there as well! I would go ahead and replace at least the bearings at that time! Good Luck Tug[addsig]

I'm not sure but I don't think that a 75 CJ-5 would have a Clutch slave cylinder. I wouldn't worry about that, but throw out and pilot bearings are a good idea to replace.
image-missing.png
Paul[addsig]

it would be a good idea to go to a wrecker and cut off a transmission spline of the same transmission if you can find one that will help you line up the clutch plate. Otherwise it can be a nightmare. I think there is also a tool you can buy but usually the spline is cheaper.[addsig]

I wouldn't go through all that trouble, most clutches come with a pilot shaft to center the clutch disc, it's shaped just like the transmission input shaft. If it doesn't come with one, most auto parts stores will loan them out.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back