Clutch noise in '01 TJ

WarthogExplorer

Re: RE: This may be a first

Over the past month or so I've noticed a rattling noise coming from the transmission when the Jeep is in neutral and the clutch is not depressed. When the clutch is depressed there is no rattling noise. Any ideas what this may be and what it may take to fix the situation? I appreciate the help!

Dave
2001 TJ 4.0L 5-speed

RE: still backfiring carb

I'm hearing the same thing in my CJ. I was told it was the throwout bearing, but I'm starting to doubt that. I hope somebody helps us, because I'm starting to worry.

RE: brake light

I noticed the other day that the rattling noise goes away if I punch the clutch pedal in and out a few times while it's in neutral. So if it is the throwout bearing, does that mean it's bad or still nothing to worry about? The rattling is pretty loud and I've never heard another Jeep make that noise.

RE: Mom takes kids for first swim of 2005!

All manual 4.0 TJ's do it (well, the one's that don't are the anomaly). The noise lies somewhere in the clutch / throwout bearing area. While I don't know technically what the issue is, I can tell you this:

I've ridden in or test driven 6 or 7 in the past 2 years looking for one for the gf. Out of those, every single one did it.
I had a co-worker who bought a used 00 sport, manual, last year. She swears it didn't do it until she put it in 4Hi and back out. So, since it had a 30 day warranty, she took it back to have it "repaired". The dealer replaced the clutch and gave it back. Still did it. The dealer then replaced the throwout bearing and gave it back. Still did it. Finally, the dealer replaced both the clutch and the throwout bearing (at the same time) and the noise stopped.

It would appear, the throwout bearing is not "bad". Unless you have a warranty on it, you'd throw a lot of money into maybe fixing the noise. And at that, how long will it last? They've been doing it since '97. If there's not a big stink about it, it can't be something serious (unless the government is secretly covering it up because of their loose affiliation to the clutch builders guild, Scully).

SenorCole86-I don't think my CJ does it, then again, I don't think I'd be able to hear it if it did. In your case, it most likely is the throwout bearing. I'd replace it when the clutch goes.

-X

Re: RE: More Power!!!

SenorCole86-I don't think my CJ does it, then again, I don't think I'd be able to hear it if it did. In your case, it most likely is the throwout bearing. I'd replace it when the clutch goes.

Funny you say that, my clutch just went last weekend. I found myself sitting still on a hill with the clutch completely engaged. I could smell it burning. It still works fine on the street, but I'm gonna need a replacement if I ever wanna take it offroad again.

RE: Re: RE: More Power!!!

It is one of those normal jeep noises. Actually it is the center of the throwout bearing where it is splined. I bought my 04 rubicon last august and about 3 days after I bought it - it started the noise. I took it back... The service mgr was nice enough to humor me and listen to it. He then went and pulled a brand spankin new throwout bearing out for me and rattled it. Nuff said for me. Been driving it ever since with no issues.

Back