cj 5 economy lift

Gitz

I recently picked up a 82 cj. The lift on it was done with longer shackles and putting the springs over the axels. Someone also welded abour 8 inches of square tubing to the front frame rails to install tall shocks. It looks ok but once I get it running I am wondering how it will run down the road. Ie: will it be hard to keep between the lines at 100 km per hr.

Longer shackles tend to make the Jeep handle worse. When combined with the Spring over mod, it will likely handle poorly at any relative speed. You will have a lot of body roll. When you get a test drive, you will likely want to shorten the shacles and put a better shock on there. Post pics of the shock mount and maybe we can tell you if it is going to help or hinder.

Here's a picture. Hope it works??
Img_1379-2.jpg

The shackles on the front look fine, although a lot of people will opt to do a shackle reversal at the same time they do a spring over. Either way works. Make sure the shackle bushings are good.
If it handles poorly when you get it running, you can try two things: upgrade shocks to something like a Rancho RS9000 adjustable shock and install a sway bar for driving on the road. You can disconnect the sway bar for off road.
Good luck.

Those shackles don't look too big... what's the length between the frame and spring eyes?

TwistedCopper said:
Those shackles don't look too big... what's the length between the frame and spring eyes?

Is it just me, or do those shackles look a bit wall-eyed? I mean, it looks like the bottoms lean out more to the sides than the tops. Is that normal, or is it a problem?:???:

Back