Check engine light

xt master

My check engine light came on the other day.

I did the turn key on and off and got the codes.

12 battery disconnected
65 high pressure power steering?

Is there any way to rest this without having to use a PCM tool.

I did change my battery the other day so I understand why the light came for it,although what a pain if the light comes on every time the battery is disconnected.

97TJ 2.4L

Last edited:

Sorry Tony, i dont remember what Jeep you have. give me an idea here.

If nothing's wrong, it'll usually go out after a few "start-stop" cycles.......ie: if you happen to leave your gas cap off (wonder how I know this?????), the light will come on and you get some code (can't remember what it is), but when things are corrected, it will go off. Not real sure about that "65 high pressure power steering"....???????

The Check engine light should extinguish ironically by doing a Battery disconnect. try doing that again for 5 mins. and reconnect the Negative battery cable.. if the SES lamp is off, take for a spin around the block, if it comes back on, and it's the same DTC, let me know. i took a quick look at the schematic diagram of the Speed proportional steering system on your Jeep and looks pretty simple. BTW, I think you have a 2.5L instead of a 2.4L..

I'm sorry it may be a 2.5 it is a 4 cylinder standard.

What is the Speed proportional steering system.

I was told it is the steering box,which i know that it has a small leak,really slow.The book I was looking at for the codes also said that the code 65 Speed proportional steering system should light up the check engine light but will give you the code if there is another problem.

I'm sorry it may be a 2.5 it is a 4 cylinder standard.

What is the Speed proportional steering system.

I was told it is the steering box,which i know that it has a small leak,really slow.The book I was looking at for the codes also said that the code 65 Speed proportional steering system should light up the check engine light but will give you the code if there is another problem.
Will you quit saying sorry, everyone makes a mistake.. :D
tj709163-2.gif

Here's the wiring diagram. Start on the Pressure switch itself, it's the easiest to get to. check the connector to the switch for proper connection. it's located at the Power Steering pressure line closer to the Power steering pump.
POWER STEERING PRESSURE SWITCH

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) connects to the power steering pressure switch on circuit K10. Circuit K10 connects to cavity A12 of the PCM. Circuit Z1 provides ground for the switch. When the switch closes, it connects circuit K10 to ground. The switch closes during periods of high power steering pump load and low engine speed; such as parking maneuvers.

Last edited:

The power train control module.Is that the fuse box looking thing under the hood.This way I know where to start from.Diagram does some easy enough.Is that switch really needed,If it is not and it is bad may just bypass the switch.

The PCM is the silver box mounted on the firewall(passenger side) by the battery. it should have 2 or 3 connectors plugged on it.4 if it's an automatic. The Fuse box is next to the Battery with a Rectangular black lid. As far as bypassing the system, i really dont know from experience it's consequences of leaving it non functional. Looking at the Function description and diagram, i would think that it might have something to do with steering effort on low speeds and RPM. since its a pressure switch and not a solenoid, then i dont think it has to do with any restrictions on the line but instead, possibly increasing the RPM of the engine thru the PCM by the Powersteering Pressure switch at low speeds, enough for the power steering pump to give you the least effort to turn and manuever your Jeep. The pressure switch is only about $22.00 from a dealer. Part# 56027906.

Last edited:
Back