Cheap lifts: Bad Times?

unmlobo

I am a fairly new Jeep owner, the subject a 1993 YJ, 4.0, No lift, 28" tires.
I am interested in a 4" lift. Yes, I do intend to implement the SYE and CV Driveshaft. I am not concerned with ride quality. My life often needs to be shaken up.

Problem:
Rough Country is cheap, but many reviews have cited batches of defective springs.

Questions:
Is this problem still prevalent?

When I install the SYE and the CV driveshaft, can I remove the Transfer case drop?

I have stock rims, will it be safe to run 33's? No idea what the backspacing is on them...These are the silver rims, jeep stamped on them.

My off-roading habbits:
Sand, Im in new mexico so...., not planning to ramp the damn thing, I dont drive my Jeep like a Formula One car, Mud is fun, I dont care for climbing rocks larger than 1/2 my tire heigth cus im too poor(college sophmore) to replace things (body parts/ crushed parts) weekly.

Yes it was an issue, but RC says it has been corrected. I would buy direct to ensure you get a kit with good springs and good service in case you don't. Thier website has a tel#.

You won't need a SYE, but it is definately a worthwhile mod, and yes you can lose the TC drop after it's done.

For stock rims (7" or 8"), you can run 33x10.50x15's, but you will need to adjust your steering stops. If you want to run 33x12.50x15 then I would suggest some aftermarket wheels with less backspacing (3.5"-4.0"). If you have 6" wheels you need to replace them to run a big tire.

Judging from what you wrote about yopur habits, you might want to get some cheap steel wheels so you can run the wider 12.50's ;)

some links that may help:
http://rough.roughcountry.com/

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/steer/steerstop/

http://www.imajeep.com/Steering_Stop_Adjust/adjusting_steering_stop.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=13&UID=2005050317174478

RE: A few Anniversary pics......

Just put one on mine back in October from RC. Springs are fine. Yep it was pretty stiff at first but after a 500+ miles she smoothed out some. I haven't done the SYE and drive shaft yet, but I don't have a lot of vibration. TC makes some good point on tires and wheels.

BTW, Welcome to the group!

mike

Yea i agree with TC, you wont need the SYE but as for the RC lift, i have heard many bad things about it. I was planning on getting that RC 4" lift also but when i did research on it i found thats its cheap but its worth spending a couple hundred more to get a better quality lift. I went with the BDS 4"lift . It is a full kit with everything you need to put it right on. I may only be 15 but hey i know what im talkin about! Good Luck :D

It seems to me, the reports about RC are few and far between. Is there a performance lift agenda? Obviously if they were that bad, RC would more than likely be out of business. I mean, they do sell kits for several mainstream vehicles, but type in Rough Country defects into google, nothing shows up, seems to me like it was an isolated issue that off road enthusiasts over reacted to. Never the less, I have a month between now and purchase time so we shall see......maybe someone will prove me wrong.

BTW---> Thanks for the welcome.
-Mark Paiz, Chairman of the Sweet Jeeps get Hot Bitches Commitee.

RE: I found a place finally!

I think it less of an agenda, but people who wheel thier junk hard and/or keep theirs a long time will tell ya that getting good quality springs is a worthwhile investment.

Is RC garbage? No, it is an inexpensive lift that will do it's job but it is by no means comparable to some of the very good springs out there (BDS, RE XDuty are 2 examples). I have and have had some of their products (RC) on my XJ. Some stayed, some got yanked almost immediately. I have learned the hard way that going cheap isn't always going to save you money.

If you are on a budget then RC will work. Look into Rusty's offroad and Hell Creek Suspensions for other low priced suspensions ;) Heard alot of good about Hell Creek on here. I bought a lift from them but sold it before I put it on (long story). It looked pretty nice.

If you have the $$$ to spend then you might want to consider if it's worth it to spend a little more now, but if not do what you can do.

RE: 4wd lever issues

If you're looking to save some bucks, you can piece together a booty fab SYE using a TJ mainshaft and tailhousing and the RE Hack and Tap SYE. Then bolt up a shortened front XJ/TJ driveshaft. It'll save you at least $200 over doing it the conventional way.

okay.... i really tried to stay away from touting the HellCreek lift but now i have to... tom uses the RC hardware and shocks (okay... the shocks aren't the best) and his own springs for the 4" lift - the quality is great and the support is unsurpassed for anything i've ordered on line... give it a go... for the money you cant beat it... just my $.02

Back