Body / Tub Removal

dandoc

I'm seeking the advice of those that have done this before...

I've got a '93 YJ, 4.0L, that needs repair work done to the frame, so the plan is to remove the body for better access to the frame, find hidden trouble spots on it, and then clean up the frame to apply anti-rust. Over the past few days I've created a list of components to disconnect in order to make the removal go smoothly. (Living in PA and having the Jeep in a non-heated shed doesn't help the process much right now.) The fenders will be coming off as well, and will be replaced due to rust and damage from the previous owner (unless I can get them repaired).

From memory, this is the list for body removal: Fuel tank; parking brake (at pedal); clutch assembly on firewall; throttle line; brake lines (at distribution block under master cylinder); steering linkage; shifter(s); battery; electrical connections at firewall; seat removal; and body mounts. I may have forgotten an item or two from my handwritten list, but that's the vast majority.

I've heard about the body mount bolts sometimes being a PITA to remove. Should I expect any other disconnections to be troublesome? Have I left out something from the above list? About how much should the tub weigh (w/ rollbar--oops!! I mean Sportsbar, dash, steering wheel, heater, windshield, and perhaps hood and brake booster/master cylinder)?

Feel free to share your experiences and advice. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'll post pictures along the way when time permits.

You don't need to remove the seats.

The engine will remain with the frame, so don't forget to disconnect the radiator hoses and heater core lines.

The seats will come out so the floor can be re-painted or covered with a truck bed liner material. Thanks for the reminder on the radiator / heater core hoses.... if they're not on my written list already, they will be today.

Back