BODY LIFT MAYBE.???

JEEP12

HEY I HAVE A 97 JEEP WRANGLER. MY FRIENDS AND I DO ALOT OF FOUR WHEELING ON WEEKNDS. i AM HAVING A WATER ISSUE THOUGH. WE GO THROUGH SOME BIG PUDDLES SOME TIMES 3.5 TO 4 FEET DEEP, AND I THINK IAM GETTIN WATER IN MY EXUAST SOMETIMES CAUSE MY CAR WILL STAHL AFTER GOING THROUGH THESE DEEP PUDDLES SOME TIMES AND WHEN I START IT, IT PUDDERS FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK CAN HELP SOLVE MY ISSUE

YJ Hardtop, Full steel doors, and soft top stuff F/S

The water is probably coming in through your intake, not your exhaust. Even though the air inlet is high up in the engine compartment, it can get water in it. When I used to go wheelin' in Houston, we had to go through alot of water crossings that were pretty deep. I saw many a friend stall out because of water getting into the intake. The best way to keep this from happening is to approach the water slowly, don't slam into it. Drop it into 4LO, 2nd gear and if you have a manual transmission let the clutch completely out. Stock TJs are meant to fjord up to 20 inches of water by Jeep testers. Lifting just a few inches and adding larger tires will of course up that number.

I don't know too much about those TJ engines (only installing one in my YJ right now :roll: ) but I know when I had my YJ engine and my distributor broke inside I got these same issues every time I went in the water as well.

If the TJ has it pull the distributor... I think TJ's are individually packed however....

Kletus

When the engine stalls its called hydro-lock and you have have to be very careful when dealing with this, i know this from personal experience.
A bodylift will not raise your exhaust or air intake anyways....just raises the body up off the frame, and as long as your engine is running, water will not enter in through your exhaust.

If you dont want to spend the money on a snorkel, do as x factor says and slowly enter the water, then accelerate..

or get the big mean tires :twisted:

one important part of water fording is NOT to stop... when you are traveling ahead, you are creating a wave in front of you, which usually brings the water level down at your motor area... when you stop, that water will naturally level back out, and rise up higher in the engine compartment. I have found that PB blaster sprayed on my filter helped me many times while spuddering after hydrofun. BE CAREFUL not to suck large amounts of water into the intake... an engine can run with a small amount coming in... VERY SMALL... but will not run quite right... if you DO find it putting from water, try to keep it running, which will constantly vent the combustion chamber and eventually dry out. if you happen to stall, and cannot get it to run... pull your sparkplugs right away and turn it over a few times... if you can SEE water come out, you've got problems... get some WD40 sprayed in the plug holes and keep it cranking... eventually, the WD will absorb and displace all the water in there and eventually evaporate... then you should be alright.... but... NEVER let it sit long (over night or longer), if the water causes any part inside the chamber to rust, you could end up with some problems

I have a snorkel on my jeep but I still wont go into something way to deep I have 99 so it still has the stupid distributer. I also noticed that it does sometimes putter after deep water because water will still travel up your exhaust pipe even if your moving. The military hummers that have snorkels for the intake also have one for the exhaust.

there are a lot more things than just the intake that have to be sealed up for scuba driving

Jeep Telephone Survey coming to you soon!

I agree with all points made on the post so far. You shoud always approach deep water slowly and accelerate through it. Anytime I have had any puttering afterwards, I make sure to keep the engine running. Sometimes I press the gas just a little bit while in park for about 20 seconds to dry things out a bit. Your belts can get wet also which can make them slip a bit and cause the Jeep to run a little off. A snorkel is definitely a great investment. I have seen lots of people trash their engines due to getting into water their vehicles can't handle. Not only does it help in the water situations but the air it takes in is cleaner up high away from the dust and dirt.

Actually, Unless I am missing something, a body lift will not change anything for you. Your engine will stay the same height. considering your body mounts to the frame and so does your Engine, the body moves up the frame and engine stay put.

This lift will not help you at all.

Re: Teenager pinned under vehicle uses jack to free himself

The airbox is often mounted to the fender, so a body lift will raise the point of possible water infiltration. It will do nothing to help the distributor, so go ahead and install a motor mount lift that will also help alleviate the rear driveline angles after a lift. See, easy to justify all those extra mods :twisted:

Back