Blower Motor Issue...with a twist

tonynascar

Just picked up a used 2004 GC from a local lot; really clean with high miles (I think RV tow might have racked them up?) but at a good price. Before buying, noted that the Cruise Control didn't engage and upper dash vents didn't have airflow. Dealer fixed both stating that it was vacuum lines. Now the blower is hardly putting out any airflow and I've honestly never felt the fan put out what I'd consider to be on "High". What caught me off guard was during stops, the fan speed would increase so it was noticeable but fall back off when it stopped. As a test, we did a "panic" stop and the blower honestly came up to full speed...only for the couple of seconds though and fell right back off again.

I've read several posts pointing me to the Blower resistor (this is not an ACZ system). Also it appears to be some type of thermal breakdown as I just tried it now that the heat of the day is gone and there is good fan speed on High and all Blend flows (dash, floor, defrost) are good. My question with the twist is to confirm I should be chasing strictly the electrical issue for the fan speed and not try to factor anything vacuum related into it?

Thanks in advance for your replies...I'm positive I've found a good home for my questions as I suspect there will be more to come as a "new" Jeep owner.
Tony

Back