Axle Problems?

zglad

Okay Jeep gurus, here is the problem that has me stumped. We have a '79 CJ-5 that we have been rebuilding for a while. When the Jeep last drove, it seemed to work fine, but the compression was bad so we decided to put in a rebuilt engine. Well along with that we also replaced all of the wiring, put in a new clutch, carb, steering coulmn, etc... We just started the Jeep for the first time, but we can't get it to roll out of the garage. It was in neutral, but it won't budge. We disconnected both of the driveshafts and still nothing. We finally jacked up the rear of the Jeep, and only the driver's side wheel would turn. What in the world could be wrong? The only thing that I can think of is some sort of axle failure. I haven't ever dealt with axles, and I don't even know what kind we have, but if anyone could help shed some light on the subject or explain to me what is going wrong I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Zac

i will guess that it is a frozen bearing, or locked up brakes... it can't be the differential becaue the other side will move... if there was an obstruction in the spider gear, there would be no independent movement, but still would allow simultaneous wheel movement

like snitty said pop the diff cover off and take a look. i had that same problem on the front end of my jeep. all the bearing had seized up from sitting for a prolonged lenghth of time with mud and water in the diff. or it could just be frozen brakes.

Re: In the market

Pop that drum off first. Make sure the brakes aren't frozen up. Check the easiest first!

Mabye your ebrake is stuck on....that's the first thing I'd check.

lthere is probably more work invovled in taking off the drum than there is the diff cover! :lol: :lol: but yeah i would have to say it would be a brake issue unless you wheel your jeep pretty hard.

west747 said:
lthere is probably more work invovled in taking off the drum than there is the diff cover! :lol: :lol: but yeah i would have to say it would be a brake issue unless you wheel your jeep pretty hard.
I don't know, I think the brake drum would be easier. All you have to do is pull off the wheel and drum vs. draining the diff, pulling off the cover, resealing and refilling the diff.

the diff is less labor intensive.. but would take longer

Do what they suggest above. It's not likely to be the brakes locked up. Most vehicles have enough power to overrun any drum brakes even if they do drag. Maybe an axle bearing rusted up. If so, you want to get that out of there before you force it and spin the race in the housing. If you find that it is the bearing or axleshaft, it may be a good time to upgrade to a one-piece axle kit.
BTW the axle you have is a narrow track AMC 20 with two piece axles.

Hey guys,
This is the closest thread I found for my issue.

Got a 95 YJ, and I think it's a spider gear problem.
After about 15 minutes of driving (I guess when things start heating up), and I make a left or right turn, I have a horrible, very loud clunking and a burst of vibration coming from the rear, a buddy of mine stuck his head out the window as I turned and he said the whole wheel was shifting (other than it's normal rotation of course).
But if I go around a corner with clutch in and coasting, the clunk never happens, only when clutch is out.
We think it's chipped spider gears, I haven't had time to actually get in the diff and check things out, but what else could it possibly be?

We're going to Gorman in two weeks for a camping trip and this coming weekend I'm getting my welding buddy to take out the spiders and weld them, think I'll try a lincoln locker set up, see how that works out.

But I wanted to see what you guys think it is?

Thanks for your time,

-Eric

95 YJ 6 cyl. 4.0L HO 5spd, w/ 2" springs, 32x11.5x15 BFG Muds.

Back