AX-15 compatibility with an NP 231 Transfer Case

MadMiracle

Would anyone know how I can find out if my t-case with case code #5300-8210 has a 21 or 23 spline input shaft? I have a Peugeot BA 10/5 (yeah, I know they're not very durable). This manual transmission can only be mated with a t-case that has 21 spline input shaft. Early YJs (1987) had automatic trannies with NP 207 t-cases. These had 23 spline input shafts. I gave my Jeep parts dealer my t-case code number which is an NP 231 and it came up as a t-case for a 1990 range automatic transmission. See why I'm confused?

If my t-case has a 21 spline input shaft, then I can see why I have a BA 10/5. But, if it's a 23, then why isn't an AX-15 in there. I've already e-mailed Chrysler but probably won't hear from them until Wednesday. This article says 1990s with 258s had BA 10/5's installed, but after March 3, 1989, according to my Jeep parts dealer, the AX-15's were used. This site basically says the same thing.

The only thing I can think of is that someone, maybe the previous owner, swapped a t-case with a 23 spline input shaft to a 21 for whatever reason. I hope my mechanic didn't do it. All he then had to do was switch the bellhousing and some clutch components, but the clutch has been giving me problems ever since I had this BA 10/5 rebuilt transmission put in. I just thought, Well, this is what it's like for a 90 4.2L. This was 6 months ago. I'm such an idiot.

He could've taken the possible old AX-15 I might've originally had in there and rebuilt it himself for his Jeep. He could've gotten a 21 spline t-case from the local junkyard real cheap. Like I said the clutch has been giving me problems since shifting is a little rough, and that's after the transmission oil has been well heated. Maybe he forgot to change those clutch components and that's why shifting is rough. I know the throw-out bearing and other components are different between these two transmissions.
Yeah, I'm paranoid and always think of the worst possible scenario. Originally, before I had the rebuilt transmission in, shifting was good, but the shifter felt really loose. I expressed my concerns and he said that's nothing to worry about. The next day he says, "yeah, you're better off with a new transmission". I'm pssed and frustrated.

edited by: MadMiracle, Feb 15, 2003 - 09:20 AM[addsig]

I think I've found the answer to my question. My t-case is supposed to have a 23 spline input shaft. My t-case code # is 5300-8210. This site says t-cases with code # 5300-8210 has a 23 spline input gear. I hope that's the same as an input shaft.[addsig]

The 231 T-case is compatable with the AX-15 transmission, but you may have to change the input shaft.[addsig]

Well the only way to check for sure is to pull the transfer case out and check it. Not really that hard to do...

1) Raise jeep and put SECURELY on jackstands (not blocks)
2) Drain transmission & tcase fluid
3) Unbolt transmission mount from skid
4) Support skid with jack and remove skid bolts
5) Put a jackstand under the transmission to support it when the skid is out
6) Lower skid and remove
7) Remove Front and Rear Driveshafts
8) Disconnect breather hose, speedo cable, and vacuum plug from Tcase
9) Place jack under tcase and remove the nuts (5) from the studs that bolt it to the transmission
10) It should separate from the transmission with a slight tug once the nuts are removed...be careful it weighs about 65-70lbs so make sure you have a floor jack or something holding it when you slide it apart from the transmission.

Now you can check it out/count splines/change input gear or replace the Tcase if necessary. I have removed my transfercase and installed it 3 times now (stupid AX5's!!!) so I am pretty used to the procedure. As far as your T-case being from a jeep with an automatic....that is unlikely. The transfer cases from automatics were indeed 23spline but used a different length on the input gear so the auto/manual tcases cannot be interchanged without swapping the gear out. Jeeptech says that the BA10 output shaft can be 21 OR 23 spline. I have never heard of the BA10 with a 23 spline output. [addsig]

I have this setup AX15 and NP231.
If you want me to check something I can crawl under.
Alon

[addsig]

I think JeepTech has the transmissions and transfer cases confused. The NP 207's had 21 splines when mated with a manual and 23 with an automatic. Jeeptech also refers to it as the output shaft. Isn't it the input? Shouldn't the output shaft have 10 splines, or have I got it the other way around?. I've never heard of the BA 10's coupled with a 23 spline, either.

There's no way I'd be able to remove the t-case w/out jackstands, RayOVac. I once tried removing the cross-member skid plate w/out them and, while on my back, I had to use all the strength in my legs and knees to raise the the transmission back up to bolt the skid plate back in. Besides, I can't drain the transmission oil because the drain plug is a hex-allen key kind of thing and it's stripped (not by me, so imagine my surprise; at least my fill plug is OK) not like the AX-15's, 5's or 4's. With them, I think it's more like the drain plugs on the t-cases.

Yesterday, I was going to check the transmission and t-case code # on my cousin's 92' 4.0L YJ which should have the AX-15, but the garage door had like 6 inches of ice in front of it, freezing it shut and her husband couldn't get it to open before I got there. If you've got the AX-15 and a t-case code # of 53008210, 52097893 or 52098048 stamped on the ID tag (it should be somewhere near in between the fill and drain plug, or directly above the fill plug), please let me know, M240 Storm. All these should have 23 splines. My t-case code # is 53008210.[addsig]

Well the engine side of the BA10 & AX15 is 10 spline...that is the input. The output is where the transmission connects to the Tcase. Also what does the NP207 have to do with all this? Dont you have an NP231? The NP207 is a sucky transfer case...the NP231 is a wayyyy better and more durable case. The 207 was only used in the very first year of the YJ (87) and for good reason. As far as not being able to drain the transmission oil...hehe you can just take off the tcase but all the oil will run out of the transmission when the two separate so make sure you have a good wide drain pan underneath. I did a little research and found out that your particular transfer case (53008210) came in the 23 AND 21 spline variety. Novak Conversions says that the BA used a 23 spline case somewhere along the line.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

It says that the same 23 spline input gear was used with the BA10/5, the TF999 (auto), and the TF904 (auto). Pretty weird. That could explain why your transfer case came up as one mated to an automatic. I dunno man....I guess you will just have to pull it and figure out this mystery.[addsig]

I'm glad you responded, RayOvac, because that helps my confusion with the input, output shaft thing. I do have the 231 t-case. I thought maybe someone on this webpage got things confused between the first two paragraphs, but I was the one that was. The webpage you gave me I've already got book-marked, but thanks anyway. Thanks especially about the input, output shafts. That REALLY got me confused. Thanks much, much about researching my t-case code. That helps out alot, too. I'm learning along the way, ya know? I might have to pump the oil out of the transmission if worst comes to shove. Well, most of it anyway.

edited by: MadMiracle, Feb 17, 2003 - 06:14 AM[addsig]

I did a little further research and there is an input shaft in the transfer case. It's part of the input gear. Within the shaft are the splines, and the shaft can vary in length. The BA 10 takes a long shaft with 23 splines (the shaft is 2.1 inches from the mounting face of the t-case). The AX-15 output takes the short input shaft with 23 splines (1.2" from the mounting face). It's on that Novak conversion site.

I'll admit it, I'm suspicious. Why? Because this same mechanic who ordered and installed this new rebuilt transmission said he was sent a Peugoeot and said that was the wrong type and he needed to send that one back and wait for the right one. Well, six months later, after I became very "intimate" with my YJ by doing my own home repairs and replacements: (re-routing and replacing vac and evaporative emission lines), new parts (ignition coil, starter motor, battery, carb parts etc.,) minor tune up, rebuilding and re-adjusting the carb and changing fluids, and with the near bone-dry differentials actually adding more than a quart of oil to both, I realized, after some reading and transmission IDing, HE ACTUALLY PUT the Peugeot in. That just added to my confusion and suspicion.

Since this morning:
I just came back from seeing him and he says no, he didn't say anything about sending the Peugeot back. Now, I have to get in contact with the guy I bought this YJ from and and see if he remembers what transmission was in there when he had it. Oh, yeah this is gonna be fun.

edited by: MadMiracle, Feb 17, 2003 - 11:25 AM[addsig]

I had always thought the Peugeot BA10/5 had a 21 spline output, and you had to change the transfer case main shaft to 23 spline if you install the AX15.[addsig]

Thats what I always thought as well...but I guess they made some with 23 according to the stuff I found....[addsig]

Back