Alternator question!

HiRidinCJ77

My 77 CJ7 has quit charging and I figure the alternator is shot! Well i go to autozone to pick one up and they tell me that there are two, a 61 amp and a 63 amp. I figured out that one has a volt reg inside of it and one doesnt. How do i tell which one i have or maybe where the voltage regulator might be if i have one? Thanks!!

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Jeepz

My 77 CJ7 with a 258 motor has the regulator as part of the alternator

Internal regular and I would go to a alternator shop and pay the extra bucks for a 80 amp. Nice to have that extra juice.

blackcj said:
Internal regular and I would go to a alternator shop and pay the extra bucks for a 80 amp. Nice to have that extra juice.

I agree. You should have your old one tested first to be sure it's the alternator that's bad.

Check the continuity of the wiring's going to the alternator and make sure they have good contact surfaces as well. Also check the fusible links on the starter solenoid and make sure they are good.

Here in Oregon, where sunshine is a rare event, there's a rebuilder (Titan) that supplies local parts shops with rebuilt alternators and other electrical gear. Their rebuilds are horrible, bad, terrible, substandard.......but cheap. Make certain you're getting a new, rather than rebuilt alternator and if rebuilt is all you can afford, check in your local area to find a reputable rebuilder.

It used to be that when you bought a rebuilt part it was completely rebuilt and close to new condition. Now when they rebuild an item, They find the worn out or broken part that caused it to stop working, Replace just that part and send it out as a rebuilt item. I buy very few rebuilt parts any more.

I run the 1 wire GM universal alt (86 amp usually), but first check the wires on the field side plug aren't broken/about to break.

So just ask for a gm universal fit alt at autozone? Thanks for the help guys. Im actually a motorcycle tech and dont know to much about cars but can usually mess around and at least get what auto im working on, on the road again!!

There's a good starter/alt shop close to me, they did my alt couple years ago. They give a year warranty no questions asked. I'd rather pay a local guy than send the money to mexico. If you buy a cheapie from a parts store it either comes from mexico or china.

So just ask for a gm universal fit alt at autozone? Thanks for the help guys. Im actually a motorcycle tech and dont know to much about cars but can usually mess around and at least get what auto im working on, on the road again!!

Tell them it's a '77 Chev Impala or similar (if they need to look it up) Napa's part number is 13-2011SW (for single wire)

Thanks again guys just bought it and maybe it will get me on the road again.

Would this gm alternator be a direct bolt on? Or would any mods need to be done?

OK got some info on the alternator if anyone else was want to do this mod to ur CJ Jeep. The bottom mount will need a longer spacer, about a inch longer. You hook the battery wire up. Hook switched 12v to the two prongs on top of the alternator. Now one thing u might have to do is trim down the mount so the alternator fan can clear the mount. Now this is for the 304 AMC. Now this is what I had to do to get mine working, just alitte insight to the conversion! Thanks guys for all the help!!

Glad it's working. Did you get a chance to check it with a volt meter to see what it's putting out?

Back