Allignment??

2004TJ

I'm a new Wrangler owner and am not sure even where to start.

Driving down the road once I hit about 45-50.....my Jeep starts shaking. I checked the treads on the tires.....and they are fine. I'm really not all that "savvy" when it comes to cars.....can someone lead me in the right direction?

I was thinking allignment???? But I would think it would shake no matter what speed I was going.

Help?

Is your jeep lifted any? new mods? I just put a lift on my yj and it was way out of line but it didn't shake any. Just wandered like a lost puppy and had some serious bumpsteer. Try moving the front tires to the back. Might have lost a wheelweight or something i know those can cause some serious vibrations that generally don't occur at lower speeds. A tire shop could tell you if they're balanced or not.

No lift yet.......I'll try rotating and balancing the tires first. I guess that's on the to do list for tomorrow.

Thanks! If that doesn't work....I'll be back on here tomorrow night asking what else it might be :confused:

Let's see... scratching head..... what else.... bent rim, hub bearing going out, driveshaft out of balance, plain ole bad tire (internal searation). That's all I can think of right now.

Let's see... scratching head..... what else.... bent rim, hub bearing going out, driveshaft out of balance, plain ole bad tire (internal searation). That's all I can think of right now.

thats the basic game plan right there to start on .... i had bad vibes when i first got mine .. alignment off, banged around rear driveshaft and bad balanced tires were the cause and my bearings werent the best either hahah hell i had almost the full list ... i really cant think of anything else to add besides somebody goofing up when they mounted the wheels up the star pattern is important

When I bought my 03 TJ I had the same problem at about the same speed. I can't remember what it was called but i think it was a steering stabilizer replaced that kept the front tires from smacking against each other. see if that sounds right?

Im An Alignment Tech For Les Schwab Tire Center. If The Balanceing Doesnt Fix Your Problem Take A Look At The Track Bar Bushings, Bad Bushings Will Some Times Cause A "death Shake" Also Check The Front Bearings And Ball Joints. An Alignment Will Not Cause A Wabble Or Shake. But If You Do Have An Alignment They Should Check You Hole Front End.

Back