Airing UP While Off-road?

Cappy_TX

I'm ordering new 31X10.50-15 Goodrich mudders for my '06 TJ Unlimited but won't see them for a few weeks. With all the continuing rain here in N TX, I'm having to drop down to 15 psi in my 30X9.50-15 Goodyear ATs to get through some sloshy areas on the way to our duck hunting ponds. I'd like to be able to pressure back up before I get on the highway for the 5 mile ride back home. I have an emergency plug-in-lighter type inflater in the Jeep but that would be a several hour job for all 4 tires! :rolleyes:

I have a few spare 20 Lb propane tanks. Can I use my 200 PSI compressor at home to charge an empty propane tank and then use it to fill the four tires in the fireld? I saw valves and fittings at Tractor Supply that would allow me to convert the propane cylinder to pneumatic use. Anyone done that? Would 125 psi in that cylinder allow for a number of full re-charges up to 25 psi or more in the tires? Any idea how many?

Other suggestions also appreciated.

It should work much in the way the Powertank does; just be sure to check the max pressure for the tank to avoid accidents!

but then you have propane tanks clunkin around while off-roading? don't like the sound of that. I reccomend an onbaord ARB compressor.

but then you have propane tanks clunkin around while off-roading? don't like the sound of that. I reccomend an onbaord ARB compressor.

I dont see that as an issue; you just need to make a tie-down system to the tub (posibly on top of one of the rear fenders or something). The disadvatage would be that the air supply is mimited, which means no air tools. In my case, I take with me a 10 Gal portable air tank filled with air besides the compressor. This allows you to fill up tires much faster (even 2 at once), and also allows you to use air tools (for short periods). I use quick connectors to put them in line, so that the compressor can fill up the tank as you use it.

Of course, with teh ARB compressor, you are limited to 90 PSI, and the flow is not the best either, but it works, and it can get you out of a bind!

Hollow tube bumpers with a close nipple and ball valve w/quick disconnect.
A schrader valve on one end to pressurize it.

I take with me a 10 Gal portable air tank filled with air besides the compressor. This allows you to fill up tires much faster (even 2 at once)./QUOTE]

jf ... that's really what I'm looking for. If I fill that 20 gal emptied propane tank to 100-125 psi from my compressor, what's your estimate of (1) how fast and (2) how many times I can re-inflate a 30X9.50-15 AT from 15 psi back to 30 on the Jeep on the ground?

5 miles on 15psi isn't bad if you take it easy, no high speed or quick cornering.

I carry a 20lb CO32 bottle with me. It holds 3000psi. I can air up my 35's from 8psi to 30 in about 10 sec. each. I can usually do about 20-25 trips and air tools work great on it as well. The welding shop in town charges less than $10 to fill it and it takes up less space than the propane tank.

I would either get a better air compressor or a dedicated CO2 system. I have seen people use a old beverage tank or gas cylinder. those propane tanks simply wil not store the amount of air you will need at the pressure you desire. ideally you will need at least one tank per tire. think of it this way, you have a 5 gallon air compressor tank, let it come up to pressure, turn the compressor off, then try to air up a tire, your not going to get very far, once the pressures equilize, your pretty much done.

jf ... that's really what I'm looking for. If I fill that 20 gal emptied propane tank to 100-125 psi from my compressor, what's your estimate of (1) how fast and (2) how many times I can re-inflate a 30X9.50-15 AT from 15 psi back to 30 on the Jeep on the ground?

It will depend on the air pressure you can store in the tank; I have no idea what the rating will be. If it is 100PSI or so, dont expect much...

Thanks for the responses. I bought one of these this afternoon ...

VIAIRpac30033lrg-1.jpg

I also have five of these 31X10.50-15s 6 ply coming here tomorrow from Dallas. BFG discontinued this particular model and I got them on a close out for $600 total including freight and tax.

MudTerrainTAKM-1.jpg

Kinda blows my Christmas budget but should get me into and back out from my duck shooting ponds here when the season opens Saturday. I'll try driving the five highway miles there at 20 psi and see if that will also handle the mushy conditions. Say a prayer for an old man and his two dawgs. ;)

100_28196-1.jpg

Great tire, you'll love it. Not sure why BFG stoped making that size, we got a couple guys in my club that run that tire on a stock tj and they all love them.

I may have misled you. BFG didn't discontinue the size, just that particular stock number. The replacement (which I couldn't see but the slightest tread pattern difference in) is now $30 higher in MSLP. There were 22 additional of the "discontinued" style in the Carrolton TX warehouse after my order shipped.

I may have misled you. BFG didn't discontinue the size, just that particular stock number. The replacement (which I couldn't see but the slightest tread pattern difference in) is now $30 higher in MSLP. There were 22 additional of the "discontinued" style in the Carrolton TX warehouse after my order shipped.

One of the locak tire guys says it is a discontinued size.. and are getting hard to find.. maybe he is wrong.

If you could get me the stock number I can share it with friends that have run these tires

Be happy to do so. When I get back home with them installed, I'll post a pic along with the stock number.

Thats it..

I bet he was looking up under the only number, I searched the BFG site..

Size:33x10.50R15/C 114Q Sidewall:RWL MSPN:08012
  • When roadside assistance is not an option
  • Overcome nearly any obstacle
  • Leave the tow rig at home
  • Krawler-inspired tread design for incredible on-off road performance. Large sidewall lugs add muscle to the sidewall and improve traction in soft soil conditions †
  • Large and thick sidewall lugs increases sidewall strength New sidewall rubber compound is more resistant to cutting and tearing BFGoodrich Tires' TriGard, 3-ply construction has cords that are up to 33% stronger that increase sidewall strength†
  • New sizes that are up to 42 inches in diameter More sizes with 17 inch and larger rims

Back