'92 Wrangler I-6 barley runs

El Wray

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, it seems to have lots of great info. I have a 1992 Wrangler with a rebuilt motor (fuel injected)that has been running great for about a year until recently. Now when I start it it sounds very "bogged down" and it gets worse as I rev it. I replaced the fuel filter and checked the exhaust manifold for cracks and I think it is crack free. There may be an exhaust leak from the manifold at the head, but it gets too hot too fast to really figure out what's going on. The problem went from a little problem to a big one pretty fast and now I can't get it more than 100 yards with out it stalling out. It has been driving me crazy, and I don't feel right with out my baby on the road. Thanks guys

Last edited:

have you checked your fuel pump and fuel pressure... also check the oil pressure sensor as this is often tied into the pump... if it'll get a bit down the road then die... that sounds like a filter problem (packing up) but you changed that - try blowing out the lines but the pump is the first place i'd start... (assuming all the electrical is good...) and welcome to jeepz! you'll like it here... i'm not the premier source on fuel injection but i know the basics and hope this helps... the bogging at start to me screams fuel pump problem... like i said - check the pressure - hope thats it (easy fix...) and i'm sure someone will have more (and better) ideas to try... thought i'd add that a lean motor will run hot - hints again to the pressure.... g'luck

Thanks for the advice Bob. I spent several hours reading a bunch of these threads and went and tried your ideas along with several others. Long story short I pulled to O2 sensor and it ran, so I knew it had to be the cat. So I got it fixed and it's running as well as it ever did. I couldn't have done it with out all the insight from the other members. Thanks!

good to hear...sounded like the engine couldnt inhale - but it turns out it couldnt exhale...so the blockage was post engine... i was thinking pre... dont come across plugged cats too often... but good to know you got it going again! lot of posters dont let us know the solution... you may have just helped out someone else w/out even knowing it! thanks!

Back