89 cherokee

tool88

ok here is my problem i had bought a 89 jeep from a guy i knew the motor was bad so i gave the shop a 1000 down with the estimate for the total to 1100 to 1200 when finished he has had my jeep for 3 months now and he finally called and said it was done but its not he told me over the phone that there is a balance left of 450 wich i have that and id be glad to pay that even though he went over the estimate but it still isnt running he said he think there is somthing electrically wrong with it and he also told me that he cant do electrical work that it just confuses him but he has a friend that he subs his electrical work out too. now i know that the engine cranks over just fine it just dosnt start though and he is saying that the voltage is low. will the engine crank over hard if there is a voltage problem? what other things could be not making it start

Have you found resolution yet? If you still haven't gotten it going I can give you a few possibilities.
Low voltage usually isn't one of the no start problems. If it cranks over it will usually start or at least try to.
Easy to forget a ground, this can cause a no start.
There is the main ground to the dipstick holder and also two (automatic) ground rings with 12 (or 14) gage wire running to them that go to the same spot on the dip stick brace (stud). The ground has to be clean and oil free during the initial tightening.
There is a ground strap from the top rear of the head to the firewall. Another critical ground.
The Crank position sesnor (upper left side of the bell housing, from the drivers seat) is easily damaged during a motor change. The connector has to be clean and oil free.
Spark, fuel pressure and TDC 1 are the initial checks after any swap.

Back