83 Cj 4.2 with mpi- into a 88 yj that had a 4.2.

shad71

I bought an 82 4.2 engine with mopar mpi kit on it. need to put it in an 88 yj that had a 4.2 in it. Is it the same block. Will engine mounts bolt up. Can I use the 88 trans , clutch, from the 88 on the 82 engine without any problems. Building for daughter16th. Have only 2 months to finish. Both engines are out now, ready to swap. Wiring might be an issue also.

I believe the blocks are the same with only slight inernal changes. The flywheels are the same part number, so you should be good there. But I have never removed or swaped engines in a YJ.

I did some searching today and it looks like it will bolt directly in. The article i read was on putting a 88 motor into a 85 cj, and it said the only real issue was that they may need a spacer on the motor mount because the 88 motor has a serpintine belt instead of a Vbelt. Other than that it seemed to be a bolt in. About the wireng, IDK, 82 would be non computer controled and 88 is, so I dont know what would be involved there, maybe a crank case positioning sensor.

Thank you. The motor I'm putting in has the mopar fuel injection kit installed on it. The Motor I took out of the 88 yj, does not have surp. Belt, neither does the the mpi engine. It isn't going to be a very fun or fast instal. Plus , of corse I have to get the a/c working also. Lol

Any other facts recommended from others is greatly appreciated .

the smile on your daughters face will make all the work well worth it... Good luck

Thank you. Been a long time.it runs, just took it for a drive this eve. Tach stopped working, speedo not working. And it spits and sputters , and backfires while trying to pick up speed. Is fine at low rpm and idle. About 15 hundred rr's is when it does it. But not in neutral , revs fine them. I'm frustrated now, has been a whole can of worms, from drilling out broke bolts ( seat belts, steering, all kinds of rusted bolts. I) I'm close , but so far away. I can rebuild any dirt bike or motorcycle , but car engine are not my thing. Especially fuel injection. Maybe someone will no where to start.

Back