2005 Rubicon Overheating

vacayooper

2005 Rubicon started overheating a couple of days ago. There was a tremendous amount of pressure and when I opened the cap while it was running everything just flew out of the radiator. I suspect a blown headgasket since this happended suddenly and I have already replaced everything. Question is this, since it has overheated what is the chance of the head warping? Is there something else that may cause this type of problem? Any help is appreciated.

Pressure test the cooling system to verify for external or internal leaks. And yes, exessive heat will warp the cylinder head. Also test the radiator cap.

Last edited:
Took off the head and noticed that the head gasket had some areas where the exhaust might get into the coolant passage. The valves/springs and seals looked good. Took the head to the local machine shop and had it checked for warpage and it was warped in the middle. Had the head resurfaced and am just waiting on the gaskets and new head bolts to put it back together. This vehicle had always run around 210 so I'm thinking this was happening for awhile.

Rubicones appear to have an inherant overheating problem, a number of people in my club that have rubicons, all have this issue, they all have added either oil coolers or auxiliary fans to help the issue. I don't believe anyof them when as far as checking the head gasket, but if the exhaust is getting into the water jacket, wouldn't the coolant also be in the exhaust? I have been luck to only blow one head gasket in my time on a big block chevy, and I had coolant out the tail pipes.

I guess I'll find out soon. Should have it back together tomorrow. it was a good opportunity to clean up the engine compartment and take care of all the minor problems. When finished it will have a new headgasket, water pump, thermostat and coolant. If it overheats after that I will be at a loss.

I blew a two head gaskets,normally you will have a ton of white smoke out the exhaust,almost like a smoke screen.

I guess I'll know for sure tomorrow. I have to admit that this is one I haven't seen before, but one things for sure, if it's a wierd problem I'll run across it!

Well the head gasket change seems to have done the trick. The engine is staying about 5 degrees cooler then it ever did and the engine is running great. I am going to upgrade to a better waterpump and thermostat shortly to further improve the cooling and add an electric fan.

Just so u know , the 4.0 runs at 210. I own a 06 rubi also, live in south FL ( no NOT Miami) so ya it can get hot here. The only time I overheated was when the water pump went out last yr. You need to change the rad fluid every yr.

Good to see problem solved.

Good to know, now on to the 4.5 RE lift kit. That will be the start of my 4th of July weekend. The lift and tires should wrap up a laundry list of improvements (?) I've put on this thing.

Back