1 or 2 barrel carb?

beerbaron

first time poster long time driver :-D ,
hi all,
is there a way to tell without looking at my jeep, which carb i have on my 82 cj7 with a 258? the reason i am wondering is that i am about to replace it with a webber carb, and they have different replacements depending. if for some reason i have the 1bbl, could i get the replacement for the 2bbl and just replace the intake manifold, or are there other differences as well.
thanks for the info
wes [addsig]

If you are swapping out intake manifolds and getting a new carb. Go get the good stuff. Aluminum intake manifold and 4bbl carb. of course if your bringing more air in you want to easily let it out so headers and a free flowing exhaust would also be a good mod. With those modifications you will have SIGNIFICANT increase in performance.[addsig]

I just replaced my 304 with a 401. Put an aluminum intake and Holley Truck avenger Carb on it. WOW is it nice lots of power. If you are gonna offroad with your jeep I would recommend the Holley Truck Avenger. :cool: [addsig]

are you SURE thats a 1bbl?
From what i have read, the 1bbl's only came on the 4 bangers.

Best bet is to pull off the air filter, open the choke and have a looksee.

Your jeep is the same year as mine, and i replaced my carter 2bbl with one of those weber carbs and it made a world of difference.
That combined with a better ignition system feels almost like a new engine.

I have heard tale of the Holley 4bbl conversion kits being really prone to flooding on steep inclines. I also havent heard what the performance difference would be over getting a weber[addsig]

Back