'02 Sahara hard top leaking.

tiger9297

Just bought an '02 Sahara about two weeks ago. We have had TONS of rain here this year and the past two weeks has been no exception. The hard top on this thing leaks, and in my opinion, it's pretty bad. It leaks right at the front corner of the passenger side window ABOVE the door frame (it isn't leaking by the glass). It also leaks in the rear on both sides. The water appears to be coming in just behind the roll bar and running down the fenders into the bed. Both leaks, in my opinion, are significant. I have looked and I'm not sure what is the right fix. I don't want to just start buying seals, but I will if I have to. This Jeep is in PERFECT condition, and I don't want any rust or mildew to ruin that. Suggestions?
progress.gif

Attachments

• IMG00089.jpg
    IMG00089.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 492

Until you get the problem fixed you may want to take out the drain plugs if you haven't already. There are four of them and this will help keep the water from just sitting.

These tops used to be fiberglass but I am sure that now they use some sort of plastic. It would be wise to find out what it is exactly before you go putting sealants or resins on it. I fixed my cracked YJ top with fiberglass resin and then sanded it smooth and painted it satin black. It didn't turn out too bad and the leak did stop, or at least I didn't notice it when it rain that year. (I'm in the desert)

First, isolate the area where the water intrusion is coming from. On the A pillar , make sure the weather strip gaskets are intact and has a good seal between the door and the windshield frame. If not, replace the gasket. Water leaks often found on the rear upper corner of the doors is usually fixed by minor adjustments on the door or the latch striker to ensure a proper seal. For minute leaks where a weather strip is not at fault, you can use a Flowable sealer from Permatex. It's a windshield sealer that is clear and approved by Chrysler.

Back